The DeWitt Ox Roast is presented by the DeWitt Memorial Association, which was founded in 1946 when local DeWitt community members agreed that a building should be constructed to serve as a community meeting center and a World War II veteran memorial.
The current property on Washington Street was donated by Mr. & Mrs. William Rogerson and an initial $1000 was donated by Mr. & Mrs. Verne Walker.
A non-profit organization was formed called the DeWitt Memorial Association to raise funds for the construction of the building, which would also house a city library.
In April, 1946, association members met to discuss fund raising methods and decided a 3 day carnival would be held on the school grounds.
The first carnival was wildly successful and adequate funds were raised to begin construction of the memorial building. By 1947 the building was opened for partial use in time for the 2nd annual carnival.
Over the years the annual fund-raiser became known as the DeWitt Ox Roast and continues today to be the main source of fund-raising for the DeWitt Memorial Association.
Go to our Facebook page and vote for your favorite DeWitt Ox Roast T-shirt logo
DeWitt Ox Roast needs volunteers and participants! Please fill out our contact form.
DeWitt Ox Roast
PO Box 284
206 W Washington St
Connect with us on Facebook & Twitter to learn about upcoming projects and volunteer opportunities.